Sunday, August 28, 2011

And so it begins....


Orientation is over. Well for the most part. I do have one more day (tomorrow) which is the sim clinic orientation. Tomorrow is my official first day of school as a Dental student. Little scary!
Orientation went well. Lots of information thrown my way but mostly all was useful. Friday was the most exciting day of orientation. I received my ID badge, which really makes things official!! And most importantly my photo on it doesn’t look to shabby if I don’t say so myself J. We also got fitted for our loupes (magnification glasses). This was a big deal; they only cost about $2000. They were custom fitted which took a while, and then I got to pick the frames I liked best. I decided to go with the white frames, which no doubt look pretty dorky, but hey it will only help me see which is very important!

Friday after orientation the D2 class held a D1 vs. D2 BBQ and event evening. I have to say we have a few pretty strong guys in our class, so to put it lightly: we kicked some D2 butt! It was a good time and there was good food! Afterwards everyone went to RTO’s which is an Irish pub not far from campus. What a great night! I met a bunch of my classmates and more of the D2 class. Everyone is so nice!! What a great group of future dentists.

Saturday was recovery! Saturday afternoon a bunch of us dental students (as well as optometry) got tickets to a Cardinals game. We went early to ensure good parking and got some food/pre gamed. The yard house is a great place! I don’t think I have ever seen that many beers on tap before! After some drinks we headed to the game. What a beautiful stadium. And even better, it was air conditioned. It was a fun game, but unfortunately the Card’s lost. Better luck next game I suppose (though I have heard rumors that they aren’t the greatest team!). After the game a few of us decided to head back for some late night hot tub/pool time with more Optometry students. A great finish for the evening.

Sleep was definitely in order after a crazy few days. So I slept in and ran a few errands this morning. Then Jason (only the coolest opto. student J ) and I went hiking at South Mountain. It was very hot but a great hike. I needed some time outside and to get my heart rate going a little after the last week!
Tomorrow it all begins. The journey is here and I am ready to take it on full force! Tomorrow begins my future career…who wouldn’t be excited about that? Hope I can sleep tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment