Saturday, October 20, 2012

A year later.....

It has been so long since I have updated this blog and I felt the need to update everyone on how my journey has been going. 

Well I am a D2 (second year dental school student)! Can't believe it, I often times catch myself still associating with D1's. I had been told D2 year was WAY better than D1 year. Well I was fooled. Less studying yes, less stress, not a chance. I still have one exam each week, Wednesday mornings on dental material. The most stressful of this year: lab. I have learned so many techniques already this year and haven't even touched a posterior tooth yet! It's crazy the options, materials, procedures, etc. that come along with dentistry. Let me tell you being a general dentist, you really need to be the jack of all traits. I have so much appreciation for all the dentists out there that had to go through what I have so far, because its SO much work!! I fall asleep within minutes every night at about 9:30 pm. I feel about 10 years older than I really am! 


Over the summer, I stayed here in AZ. My first month was spent studying 8+ hours a day for my part 1 board exam (NBDE part 1). I took that the end of June and then flew home back to MN for the 4th of July to have some fun with family and friends. I diligently waited and waited for the scores and found out about 2 weeks later that I PASSED :) Such a wonderful feeling! (Oh the boards are pass/fail so unfortunately I don't know how fabulous I really did, haha). I spent the rest of the summer taking care of my little puppy Ty. I got him in May and had a heck of a time potty training the little turd (no pun intended). Yorkies are by far the hardest breed to potty train! Though Ty is more maltese in personality, he is a yorkie when it comes to pottying. Other than that I relaxed and enjoyed a work free, school free few months (which by the way has never occurred since about sophomore year from high school). 




Besides school this year, I have started tutoring for some extra money. I tutor the D1 class in their basic science course. Not only did I do this for some money, but I am still contemplating continuing after dental school to an Oral Surgery residency. This requires me taking another standardized test called the NBME (the pre-USMLE 1) which is a med student exam, but since the boards for dental are now pass/fail, it was decided that some scored test would be needed to differentiate applicants. So I figures tutoring might be a good way to retain all the material I learned first year, since it will all be on the NBME. 


I also got the opportunity to go home for a weekend to be a part of the Bartels/Stiles wedding! I couldn't have had more fun! I have been friends with Candy since before I can remember. We had great times in high school and even more fun times in undergrad as Bennies! She is and will always be one of my best friends and I felt so honored to be a part of her wonderful day! I loved being home to see everyone and get all dressed up! Unfortunately it was only for a few days but it was better than nothing! I won't be home again until Christmas due to flights costing so much. But I can't wait to see everyone again. 



That brings me to another question I hear all to often; are you going to come/go back to MN after dental school? I don't know, sorry! It all depends on residency, no residency, where I am at in my life, etc. I may/ I may not. That's the best I got right now. 


And since last writing, I have done a few bucket list check offs! I ran the tough mudder last Feb. It was 12.5 miles with over 20 obstacles scattered throughout. By far the hardest thing I have ever done. Trained for about 3 months before hand, and got my but kicked, and soaked in mud! SO FUN though :)  I hiked the grand canyon (South rim to North rim) this August with some of my fellow future dentists. 30 miles of hiking in 100+ degree weather might now sound too fun, but it was a blast and I would do it all over again in a heart beat. Most importantly, I go to go sky diving. Yup, jumped out of a plane! Probably the funnest thing I have done in my life! Expensive, but absolutely amazing!! As my journey continues, I will keep checking off things on my bucket list! 







Those are some of the highlights of the past year. I am so excited to learn more and eventually become a dentist in 2.5 years! Seems so far away, but time has flown by! I miss my family and friends back home like crazy, but I have formed a great support system down here in AZ. Without my girlfriends, dental school would be next to impossible! They mean so much to me! 



Well thats the update so far. Hopefully it will be less than a year before I update this again! 

1 comment:

  1. well it's about time ;)
    let us know when you'll be home for christmas break! i'll be flying in on the 13th or 14th and leaving january 6, i think. jackie, chels, and i already talked about having a christmas cookie baking, chick-flick (or christmas movies, ha) watching girls night !!!

    i loooove you!!

    ReplyDelete